Thursday, February 18, 2021

Storylab: Stories and Friends

 

Storytelling

(image source: towards data science)


The Danger of a Single Story

I've seen this TedTalk before, but I watched it again because it had been a few years, but it's also just an incredible speech. 

I watched this when I was 21 for an assignment in my Comp II class. After I had watched it, I realized the same thing Adichie had — all of my favorite authors were American or British white men. 

Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it occurred to me that I had a very narrow world view, and after that discovery I purposefully started reading books by authors of different cultures and races. I discovered so many amazing books that way. 

A few of my favorites:

Maya Angelou And Still I Rise - a book of poetry. Absolutely fantastic.

Marlon James Black Leopard, Red Wolf - this book is based off of African myth and history. If you don't like grit and violence, definitely avoid. 

Salman Rushdie The Satanic Verses - This book got Rushdie a fatwa placed upon him by Iran. Great read.

I think this speech is important for many reasons,  but especially for Americans to address their biases against other countries. I think as Americans, we tend to believe the world revolves around the USA — and it does. But that doesn't mean every country is the USA. There are so many amazing cultures in the world, and it's rather ignorant for us to believe that every country outside of North America and Europe are living is squalor. 

Adichie discusses this when she talks about her college roommate asking how she spoke English so well, and what her tribal music was. I think a lot of this way of thinking has to do with how these countries are presented by the media or in movies. 

I remember my friend from Mexico showing me her home city of Guadalajara on Google Maps, and I was so surprised there was an IHop. My understanding of Mexico was that it was incredibly dangerous 3rd world country run by drug cartels. This is true in some parts, but many places in Mexico are vibrant and beautiful, and not sepia toned like portrayed in movies.

 

I share that shame and surprise Adichie mentions she felt when she visited Guadalajara.

At 4:48 Adichie says:


Imaginary Friends and Real World Consequences: Parasocial Relationships

I had never seen this TedTalk before, and I thought it was so interesting. It didn't have to call me out like that. I looked up Jennifer Barnes' book and definitely recognize them! We have some at the library I work at.

I think the idea of parasocial relationships is interesting. Many people my age and younger deal with this regarding internet personalities and celebrity culture. Some of my friends and I discuss YouTubers like they're part of our friend group.

Barnes discusses this by bringing up Taylor Swift's Twitter, and how her followers may feel like they know her simply by what she posts online. This one-sided relationship is kind of scary. While millions of people know her, and feel like she's their friend... she doesn't know any of them. 

There are many news stories regarding this relationship with celebrities. Many celebrities are stalked by followers who take the one-sided relationship to the next level. 

There's instances of K-Pop and J-Pop stars not being allowed to date or have intimate relationships because it would destroy the illusion for their fans. A Japanese singer was actually stabbed by a man who was upset by her "rejections." 

There was even a man in Florida who murdered his entire family so he could keep paying a Cam-Girl who lived in Bulgaria.

I went on a tangent here — but I find this subject so interesting, and dangerous. I think, more than ever, younger people are becoming more isolated. It's easier to create a relationship with someone who has no idea that you exist, rather than having to put in the effort to create real life bonds. I dunno, I'm not an expert.

No comments:

Post a Comment